Aliki beach in Limnos islandHuge sandy beach with no crowds and stable wind - the first kite-only spot in Limnos
FlaminGokite is located at Aliki beach - huge sandy shore with stable wind. It’s a kitesurfing-only spot similar to the rest of the beach.
The water in front of the station is deep and our beginner area is shallow to the waist. Inside the water we have swells and small breaking waves at the shallow zone.
There’s plenty of space for setting up your kite gear and even more space for riding. We open at 10 AM and work till 8 PM. There’s no reason to rush in the morning because the best wind comes later on and stays till it’s dark. When there’s Meltemi wind, there will most usually be late-afternoon side-shore sunset sessions.
Most of the summer, the island of Limnos has the Meltemi wind. The main wind direction at Aliki beach is north-east. The wind usually starts in the middle of June and goes on till mid to late October. In May and the second part of October we have the south wind. During the off season (May and October), some west and east winds can occur, the west coming with a lot of gusts, as opposed to the east wind, which is quite clear, but may also blow during the high season. The north wind is mainly thermal wind in the afternoon, but, on rare occasions, may come with gusty stormy weather.
Wind Types click for more info
- Start: usually during the night or in the mornings
- Peak: a couple of times during late mornings and noon
- Duration: a couple of days, sometimes weeks
- Start: usually during the day
- Peak: at noon or late afternoons, sometimes evenings
- Duration: 1-3 days
- Start: usually thermal wind in the afternoon
- Peak: not really, but can get a bit stronger in the evenings
- Duration: a couple of hours
- Start: very unpredictable
- Peak: a couple of times in the afternoon or evening
- Start: very unpredictable or after the south wind
- Peak: always with very long gusts, and can drop suddenly
- Launch and land only in the designated areas
- Never land or launch your kite in front of the station
- Do not walk with the kite in the air in front of the station
- Do not kite in the beginners' area
- Give a clear sign when landing your kite
- While riding, keep a distance from the beach
- Secure your kite while on the beach
- Do not leave your foil close to the water, landing, or launching areas
- The rider entering the water with a kite in the air has priority over the one who wants to exit
- Respect all beach users
- Enter the water while bodydragging with your board
- After kiting, wrap your bar and put it close to your kite